Friday, April 18, 2008

Leona Divide Tomorrow

Well, I'm sitting here calculating the slowest I can go and not miss the cutoffs for tomorrow's race. It is a feeling I havn't felt in awhile, not sure if I'll complete an event. My first 50 miler I felt this way. I just havn't been training and putting in the miles like I used to. I kinda wanted write this post to remind myself of times in the past where I felt I wasn't ready and did fine. Like the time I wasn't running much after the Grand Canyon in Oct. 06 and then went and did great at Santa Clarita Marathon. Two weeks later I then did well at Santa Monica Mtn 50k. Then 2 weeks later did 105 laps to raise money for the American Cancer Society. I think my saving grace is the fact that I try to go slooooww! I usually train way harder than I race. The race is about the memories for me, and the feeling that comes with finishing something so challenging. My favorite is thinking of Lis' and the boys as I realize I will finish and see them. Their love and support has made my running special. Now Shane is running track and becoming a trail runner at age 7 and Ryan at 4 is running 4 laps on the track and psyched about it. Then there's Bob putting in the miles and racing and doing now better than me. It is awesome to see others take up this sport that I love and has given me so much.

I know that I will do well tomorrow because I will see friends that I havn't seen in awhile like Wendy Young and Dr. Paul and maybe Jeff Stevenson. We'll catch up as the miles pass, push through the pain and find out a little more about ourselves as the layers get stripped away and the core is exposed. We'll comment that it doesn't seem possible that a year has gone by since we last met here. You continue on with the encouragement of others who know all too well what you're going through. Hopefully someone else is suffering and I can reach out and help them. Together we'll make it. One step at a time for 50 miles. Like all things, if it were easy it wouldn't be so rewarding.

As I drive home I'll be overwhelmed with satisfaction and the excitement of seeing my family. The Starbucks in Valencia will once again see me slowly get out of the truck, legs stiff from 12 hours of punishment, and will myself inside for a well deserved coffee. Think good thoughts for us.

Happy trails,
Mike

No comments: