Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Attitude is everything.


The SAID principle states that a body will make Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands. This physiological principle is awesome when you're putting in 70 mile weeks in the mountains. It fills one with the confidence one needs to perform at the level needed to have an enjoyable marathon. That is, it makes you think you're all that and a bag of chips...Oh yeah, I've got this. Easy money. 26.2 miles of fun! I hope all those under prepared runners piled on the medians at mile 22, frantically strectching their calves in an attempt to stave off that wonderful wake up in the middle of the night with a leg cramp that makes you sit up and scream at the top of your lungs feeling, don't hate me as I gracefully and effortlessly run by with that big smile and say smuggly, you okay, keep it up, you're almost there! After all, I've adapted. I'm stronger. All my training is paying dividends! Yeah, that's awesome. I'll tell you what's not awesome...my current training schedule. I have a marathon in a couple of days and I don't even remember the last time I ran over 15 miles. Add to that a dash of sleep deprivation, a handful of inproper nutrition, and a rounded spoonful of dehydration and you've got the perfect recipe for a painful day! Granted if you read my post from the leona divide 50 mile race this year you'll see it's filled with the same type of Debbie Downer sentiment. What's that, how'd I do in that race?? Oh, better than the year before! I know it doesn't make sense. More training=worse time?? Well, in fact that might not be too crazy of a concept. There is also a thing call over training. Not only are you more prone to injury, but mentally you can get fried. And that right there is the secret. Running, like life, is 90% mental. I'm not saying you can go from the "couch of doom" today to running 50 miles tomorrow, but if you believe you can run 50 miles, you will do it. And sooner than you think. You become what you believe most of the time. If you believe you will be an ultra runner you will be.

Life is too short for excuses. Having a bad day is your fault. Not your jobs. Not being in shape is your fault. My horrible training is my fault. But that's all okay. We're allowed to have bad days and not love our jobs everyday and not be in the best shape. But we shouldn't let the negative thoughts impose specific adaptations on our attitudes. Sometimes it's a good idea to take life one day at a time. Like running, living life with a good attitude requires training. Start with baby steps and pretty soon you'll be off and running.
Happy Trails.

No comments: