Friday, September 28, 2007

Long runs help clear my mind and feed my soul.

This morning I stepped out for an 18 miler. It looked like rain, and it had been misting a little as I dropped the boys off at school, so I stuffed my Golite Wisp into the pocket of my two bottle waist pack, filled my bottles with perpetuem grabbed the phone and my iPod and hit the street. I've been trying to do one of my long runs on the road every week to prepare for the road marathons I've got coming up. When I run I generally listen to podcasts. My favorites are phiddipidations, Endurance Planet, This American Life, and now Morning Stories . My sister Jill, while training for Disney half marathon, was listening to morning stories and told me I have to give it a listen. I was hesitant. I had my favorites already but I thought I'd try it. I am very glad I did. Some of the stories are sad, joyful, and funny. They range in topic and content but they are all stories worth hearing and feeling. It is amazing that as humans we are unique but at the same time connected by our individual experiences. Even though separated by time and space there is a sense of familiarity, in a macro sense, listening to the stories of others. When I listen to Morning Stories I feel myself relating to complete strangers and find that their stories inform me and my story. Maybe these stories have a bigger impact when we're out pushing our mental and physical limits and are venerable to such emotions. You know, like when you cross the finish line of a race and have an overwhelming urge to cry because you see your kids or your spouse. You're exhilerated, exhausted, happy to be done, and sad it ended all at the same time. I feel when I'm on a long run all of the "stuff" that is life is stripped away and I get closer to what's at the core of me. What is really important to me is very apparent as it becomes where my thoughts focus and I feel joy in thinking about it. For me it's always family. My wife and kids mainly, followed by extended family and friends. In a word, Love, and the connectedness of being a husband, father, brother, and friend. My place in the world is clear at those times. And so I return, soul fed and mind clear.
We're heading to the mountains this weekend. We're looking forward to the cooler temperatures and the star filled sky. We'll get the woodstove heated up and I'll spend an hour readying kindling for future visits. Bob and I are going on a run at some point which should be nice in the cool weather. The boys and I are looking forward to Lisa coming home from Hume Lake this weekend. We've missed her all week! We will have a late birthday celebration wiht Bob and Holly Saturday night which will be great...Is that Tri tip I smell?? Happy Trails. Mike.

No comments: