Thursday, September 6, 2007

24 miles, good company, and Diet Coke???

Okay, I don't even like Diet Coke. Those two empty cans in my cup holder?? Oh those, well...
After running with the Blues in Sycamore last week I was asked to join JR, Wendy,(Happy Anniversary)Greg, Annie, Mark, and Patty for a run on Saturday. We met at the top of Reseda at 6am(yeah I wish I worked days!)and were going to do something in the 22-24 mile range. I was excited to have people to run with, especially a group of such accomplished runners. In my normal circle of training partners/friends I am as accomplished in our sport as the others if not more. With this new group...not so much! When the conversation turns to, "remember your first..or was it your third Badwater when you..." Okay. Time out. I'm in over my head! But seriously it was a treat to run with this group. We had a great time and covered 24 miles in just over 5 hours. Minus a couple 3-5 minute rests under big shade trees and two stops for water we ran the entire way. We started at the top of Reseda and ran down some ridge to some houses(in Brentwood maybe)and back for the first 12.5 miles. Then we refilled our bottles at NIKE and headed down WestRidge Trail to the Pacific Palisades and back up to NIKE once more for some much needed water. It had been a while since I ran a hilly 24 miler and this one felt great. Thanks to Wendy for sharing your sour jelly beans! The last four miles to the cars was nice with that feeling of accomplishment that running 24 hilly miles in the warm temps will bring. It's amazing how good a Diet Coke can taste. Greg and Annie brought a cooler of ice cold Diet Cokes for after the run and they were a big hit! I'm looking forward to putting in a lot more miles with my new friends as they prepare for the San Diego 100 next month. From what I witnessed on Saturday they're going to have a great race.
There's something to be said for spending the morning high above a busy city running in the mountains with a group of folks that share a common passion. There seems to be almost an instant bond between ultra runners. Whether training or racing most are kind, giving, and have a good sense of humor. Throw in a Diet Coke or two and you've got a recipe for a memorable Saturday morning. The first of many...I hope.
Happy Trails

1 comment:

SoberMommie said...

mmmm...love the Diet Coke! Especially after a good long run on the trails! I like your NEW blog =) Pretty fun huh...