Thursday, August 30, 2007

Training/Bulldog Recovery


It's nice to be training again. For a while there I was working two jobs and had no time except for the weekends. I know a lot of people have the same constraints when it comes to finding time to run during the week. Over the last couple of years while I was finishing my degrees I got used to putting in 60+ miles a week. I was running on pristine trails everyday! I was in great shape back then. Now, I'm back to training like that, but I think I will have two jobs again soon which will cut back my weekly miles somewhat.

I took Sunday off. Well, we walked around Disneyland for 8 hours, but no running. Following the Bulldog 50k I had one sore muscle in my left quadriceps.(Rectus Femoris) Other than that I feel great, but I am taking it fairly easy to let that sore muscle heal. This week I've been training in a park near the kids school. It has been frequently closed due to Mtn. Lion issues, but it's open again. There's nothing like running somewhere where you're not on top of the foodchain! The park has great trails with really challenging climbs that are spaced out just right to keep you in the aerobic zone barely. I ran close to 70 miles last week including the race and this week I plan on a long run Saturday in the Santa Monicas and Sunday I'll join the New Basin Blues for their annual Sycamore Sunday which will include a half marathon on the Lasse Viren course for the most part. I'm trying to get back into good 50 mile shape, so the back to back weekend runs will become a staple of my training. I'm trying to find people to run with. For the past 4 years I've done about 95% of my training alone which works wonders mentally. I found that I became very strong mentally from pushing myself so hard during training and never giving up. I typically like to train hard and race easy, probably because by the time the race comes I'm so starved for attention I'll walk and visit with anyone! I'm planning on racing more and training less. Constant taper.

No comments: