Monday, August 27, 2007

Bulldog 50K August 25, 2007

First of all a big thanks to Nancy for letting me in the race. Life just wouldn't seem right if August went by and I didn't run the Bulldog 50K. Four years ago it was my first ever race and I haven't missed a year since. For me it's like returning to the scene of the crime. That race is the first place all my hard efforts in training paid off. That's the first time I thought, "I'm going to die, but that's alright, at least then I'll get a rest!" Since that first eventful finish I've been hooked. Last year I was lucky to have a contingent of friends running the 25k and met up with several other friendly faces that I knew in the 50k. This year I drove alone. Waited alone. I did briefly visit with Kathy Kusner (Where's Moose??) and another guy I ran the Grand Canyon with last fall. But the atmosphere is always friendly as runners become anxiously talkative.
The weather was clear and cool in the morning. I'd hoped for fog like years past but was just happy that I was healthy and there. Eric Clifton was there as was Michelle Barton so my chances for victory, for at least the moment, seemed dashed!! I quickly settled into my normal middle to back of the pack spot and was surprised at how effortless the first few miles went by. About three miles in I turned around to see Conrad Daniel who I hadn't run with since the Tahoe Triple in 2004. Needless to say we had a lot of catching up to do. He had never run the course so I had a good time playing tour guide as we headed up Bulldog road under the rising sun. The 50K is basically a double loop in Malibu Creek State Park and the namesake for the race is a 4ish mile exposed climb up to where there is actually a breeze and a great view of the ocean. The first loop is usually done in mild to moderate temps while the second...well it's usually pretty hot. Conrad and I were so busy visiting that the first loop went by without a care. We did get passed by Fred Pollard who was kind enough to visit with us for a little bit as we climbed. Fred was just coming off badwater and Leadville and in great shape. Coming out of Tapia park and through the water crossing we found Ken and Jeanie Berry manning the aid station at mile 13.1. It's always nice to see good friends waiting with ice cold Coke and a smile! I reminded Ken of how I'd proposed to his wife at this very aid station two years ago as she sponged me off with cool water as the temps soared to 110 degrees. "If I had a nickel!" she commented. One more climb up the Tapia Spur Trail and we were at mile 15 and the last aid station before the left turn and the familiar territory of the second loop. At this point in the race some were giving up their numbers. They'd had enough. I hope they come back strong for next year.
The second loop was hotter than the first but unlike years past the breeze miraculously found it's way down the canyons to us. Feeling blessed and in good company we climbed on. Kim French with the OCTR group was also making her final ascent up Bulldog. She didn't know us, so we convinced her she should finish the race with us! Now three strong we started down for the Corral Cyn aid station. Lots of ice and Coke. With Conrad promising to buy at the next aid station we headed down the trail, past the elephant(you did see the elephant, right?)and down into Tapia where we avoided the rocks and plunged into the water crossing for a refreshing break from the heat. The last climb was done and the finish line was in sight. We ran in three strong with some pacing from my son Shane. Seven hours and eleven minutes of memories. Thanks to all the volunteers and to Nancy for putting on a great race. Thanks also to Conrad and Kim for sharing their time.

No comments: